Important Update on Competition Finals due to COVID-19: On Friday March 6th we learned that due to COVID-19 the San Francisco Office of the Mayor has directed the Herbst Theater to cancel all events through March 20 (see the Mayor's press release here). Hence our 2020 Competition Live Finals will not be held on Sunday, March 8 as planned. Please stay tuned for updates as we evaluate our options for how to proceed. For those of you who have purchased tickets, we expect that City Box Office will be contacting you directly regarding refunds.
Preliminary judging has been completed for our 2020 Annual Competition! Thank you to all our entrants -- we were very impressed by the amount of talent in the applications we received. The list of Finalists and the schedule for the Live Finals are posted here. Finalists will also receive an email with details on next steps.
The combined Live Finals and Winners Showcase will be held on March 8, 2020, from 10am to 7pm. This year, for the first time we have combined the Finals and Winners Showcase into a unified event in the main hall at Herbst Theatre in San Francisco, giving our talented finalists the magnificent venue they deserve to showcase their musical talents. We’ve updated the format so the finalists will perform complete works. And we have an impressive panel of judges, including Ruth Slenczynska, Arkady Serper, Sheri Greenawald, César Ulloa, Zakarias Grafilo, and Jassen Todorov.
This is a public performance event, and tickets are available now at the City Box Office. The Instrumental Finals will run from 10am - 1pm, the Piano Finals from 2pm - 5pm, and the Vocal finals from 5:15pm - 6:45pm. A detailed schedule is available on the Finalists page.
Please Note: Competition Changes for 2020
For the last year we have been working hard to evolve the competition format in order to help make time constraints more manageable for busy students and to provide a more visible showcase for competition finalists and winners. Thus we are excited to announce several changes for this year:
- The Competition Finals and Winners’ Concert will be merged into a combined Live Finals and Winners Showcase. This will be a public performance event, held in the main hall at the Herbst Theater in San Francisco.
- Competition finalists will perform in front of a live audience (as well as the judging panel), and winners will be announced at the end of each category.
- This year’s finalists will be required to perform one submitted piece in its entirety for the judges, in addition to selections from others.
- All Finalists will receive professionally-recorded videos of their performances.
- More details can be found in the Competition Information Pack